Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Roller Skating

Last month, we celebrated my nephew Kolby's birthday at a skating rink. Prior to going, I assumed that my kids probably would not want to try, but I brought some cash just in case. Well, once again they proved me wrong. As soon as they saw their cousins skating, both Isaac and Lucy wanted a try. So we got the smallest size possible for Lucy, got some for Isaac, and yes, I rented some for myself as well. I know what you are thinking, "Jill, do you skate?". The answer to that is sadly NO. Ever since a bicycle mishap in college I prefer to stay away from anything that requires self propulsion on wheels. However, for my children, I did it. (Of course I had them tighten the wheels as much as possible). But we did it! Of course we never made it out on the rink, but we wore them and we skated (more accurately, skate-walked) quite a lot on the fancy star-carpet. But eventually, the kids got preoccupied with the video games that I did not have the money to pay for (since I just used all of my money to rent 3 pairs of skates). So they just sat there and pretended. I think they had just as much fun (even if the screen kept saying "Insert Coin to Play"). We had a great time, and thank goodness, no major injuries). Unfortunately, I did not get a picture of the Birthday Boy (he was way to busy cutting it up on the rink, that boy has skills!). Anyway, here are some of the pictures that I did manage to get.


Isaac celebrating the fact that he is still on his feet.
Lucy was so proud when she got her pair and a bracelet too!

Jolie in front, then Lucy and then Hunter (all 2 years old and all very interested in the race-car video game). Very cute!


Hyrum and Laurelle, very stylish in their skates. They both did very well.
We all had a great time!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

How old is Lucy now? I can't believe she can stay up on skates! I love what you said about work being work, it is so true...our families are what it is all about!

Shauna said...

Hey Jill..I do have a blog and I see you do too. How fun. Haven't seen you in a while but I heard the news about your calling. Congrats. I'll miss hanging out with you in the nursery. Your last entry was totally funny. I would be afraid to get into a pair of skates too. Good for you for trying..By the way your blog is very cute too.

Monty and Kristin said...

That is so funny! So you have me interested...what did happen in College with a bike! Sounds horrible!
I never put money in those machines. I say if kids can have fun without putting money in why bother. Enjoy it while their young and don't really know the difference!
I've never taken my kids skating. Sounds like a fun day!:)

Veronica Peterson said...

Wow! Lucy and Issac look like they're pros in skates.

Jill Land said...

In response to 2 queries:

Sarah T, Lucy is 2! Terrible 2! But fun as can be most of the time!

Krisitin P, Let's just say, I was riding a bicycle, I didn't listen to the still, small voice whisperings and then shoutings. I crashed my bike down a rather steep hill. Only to experience these: an ER visit, some physical therapy, 13 stitches and my first experience with vicodin. But all in all, I was fortunate, and learned a very valuable lesson: ALWAYS listen to that still, small voice, before it starts shouting at you. AND, stay as far away as possible from anything that has wheels underneath it and that requires you to provide balance and propulsion.

Becky and Ryan said...

Yeah, I am not so good on wheels either! I fall and trip all the time with just my big feet. Happy to hear no major injuries. Sounds like a great party.